Sunday, July 22, 2007

Tammy Faye Messner: 1942-2007

A very long time ago I used to laugh at Tammy Faye Bakker's runny makeup (why didn's she use the waterproof stuff?). I used to jokingly call one of my sisters "Tammy Faye" because she was also heavy handed with the mascara. I admit to taking some satisfaction from the fall from grace of the 700 Club and her sleazy husband, Jim Bakker. Then I forgot about her. Last year Nag Jr., a true junk TV addict, convinced me to watch a Surreal Life marathon with him. Tammy Faye was a ray of sunshine on that show, down to earth, spunky and kind. Much to my surprise I couldn't help but like her.

Here is an article that is a little different than the obituaries that are all over the web today;
Tammy Faye Messner: 1942-2007 What Is Beauty?
Two days ago Tammy Faye weighed 65 pounds. She had cancer that went to her lungs. My reason for bringing her image here is not to discuss her life, but this act, her last public act, that she initiated, calling Larry King and asking to be on his show… to literally give an ‘end time’ public view of what those of us who have worked in hospice long before it was ever called hospice, have seen often… but a view that is often shut away from the public… only those who have loved their loved ones to the end and past the end… see how the body even though diminished, can still carry enormous spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment