Sunday, January 21, 2007

Oh Canada!

This map got me thinking.
I have a hard time keeping track of Canada's marijuana laws; first it's illegal, then it's legal or decriminalized, then it's not (unless for medicinal purposes) -it's as if our legislators are all stoned. It reminds me of that old Donovan song: First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is. First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is. First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is. First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is. First there is a mountain... Sorry, I got carried away. How much do you wanna bet he was high when he wrote that?
It makes my head spin, or maybe it's just all the pot fumes on our city streets. In any event no one pays much attention to the law because it's seldom enforced; at least that's what the map says. Pot heads in Canada even have their own Political Party unlike other criminals. No one has formed a Shoplifting Party, Drunk Driving Party or a Serial Killer Party- yet. Oh wait a minute - the Netherlands has a Pedophile Party - and they've decriminalized marijuana.
I have not noticed a perceptible increase in open marijuana use among Canadians but I live in a small town where the average resident is really, really old. I don't know how old exactly but I think "one foot in the grave" is an apt description. They're into all manner of drugs: blood thinners, Aricept, Viagara. Could be they're also smoking pot to relieve their glaucoma. Come to think of it, they're so addled to begin with no one would notice.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the Canadian Senate isn't going to nag you about your nasty little habit The Nag won't nag you either.

No comments:

Post a Comment