Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A cling-to-your-ribs meal: Ant soup, beetle bon-bons

This article from the Niagara Falls Review will likely provide Avery with yet another excuse to avoid Niagara:

I watched Jeff Stewart, a professor at Niagara College's Culinary
Institute, stir a pot of soup made with root vegetables, peanuts and, just to make things more difficult, ants. I carefully, painfully, listened as Stewart casually described the dead and roasted items on his table - mole crickets, ants, scorpion, beetle and bamboo worms - while informing us that almost every culture and continent, except North America, eats insects. Stewart said he takes pride in educating people about dishes that some don't know exist. I was the unfortunate soul who would be his subject. Stewart went on to describe some of the finer details of the soup. However, I was much too focused on staying on my feet to remember exactly what he said. As I took a spoonful, my teeth began to crunch on something. Still chewing, I asked Stewart if what I was chewing on was a peanut, or what I feared most - an ant. "I'm not sure, you tell me." Like many who fear getting a needle, the pain went away in a second. In fact, it tasted pretty good. Like pea soup. Pea soup with a little crunch. I tried the Brazil nut and beetle bon-bons - a water beetle covered by chocolate and caramel.
Tastes just like Snickers, I thought.

Hmmm, I wonder what kind of chocolate bar Avery tastes like.

No comments:

Post a Comment