Saturday, September 09, 2006

Tadoussac

The drive to Tadoussac from Quebec City along the slow road was breathtaking. The mountains dropped down to the St. Lawrence and the road wound up and down hills revealing spectacular panoramas at every turn. The little villages with their maisons ancestrales are quaint and beautiful, unspoiled by signage, fast food joints and all the other detritus we're used to seeing in tourist areas. We stayed at the Hotel Tadoussac (below). Point of interest: the outdoor scenes for the film, Hotel New Hampshire, were shot here. The little church for the early settlers is across the street.

  We hiked during the day through the Saguenay National Parks. They are strung out along the St. Lawrence and the Saguenay Fjord. I'm usually more of a city person (hate camping and cottages) but I enjoyed the indescribable views and the clean, clean air here. The dunes above were quite spectacular. Unfortunately I'm not much of a photographer so you'll just have to take my word for it.

  The porch below was my happy hour perch where I was content to read and drink red wine before stuffing my face at dinner. The hotel has three restaurants, one of which serves local cuisine. I was curious about it but Mr. Nag, the vegetarian, has a terror of terroir, it being heavy on moose, caribou, etc. - nonetheless we managed to eat well and too much.

 
We spent another night in Quebec City and one in Montreal before returning home. A great holiday with ideal warm, sunny weather every day and we didn't have to surrender our liquids or submit to invasive airport security checks and lineups. I can also feel holier than thou for spending my money here in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment