Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Please believe, Madame, in the assurance of my distinguished sentiments

Americans use 'Sincerely' for almost all non-personal letters.
The British use 'Yours sincerely.'
The Germans say, 'With friendly greetings.' The French say: 'Thanking you for your confidence, I pray you to believe, Monsieur, in the assurance of my best sentiments.'
Or, 'I pray you to receive, Madame, the expression of my distinguished consideration.'
Or, 'Receive, Monsieur le President du tribunal correctionnel, my distinguished salutation.'
Or, 'Please accept, Madame l'Inspectrice d'Academie, the expression of my high consideration.'
Or, 'In hoping very strongly for a favorable response, be assured, Monsieur, of my perfect consideration.'
Or, 'Please accept, Madame, my respectful homage.'

A woman must not, however, send her 'sentiments'or 'homage' to a man (oh-la-la!) but should use 'expression of my respect' instead.
These are not a joke. The French really write this way.
Via Rue Rude

No comments:

Post a Comment