Alright, I'm Hooked

When I was a little girl my grandmother used to watch "Coronation Street" or as she called it, "Corrie". She'd talk about Ena Sharples (the weird looking one with the hairnet) and the other denizens of the Street as if they were her next door neighbours. Indeed it was often hard to tell whether the latest scandal she was recounting occurred in Lachine or in Weatherfield and I suspect that was the key to the show's appeal. You wouldn't have caught me watching it then and you won't find me missing it now. I suppose Niagara on the Lake harbours its share of "characters" but at my stage of the game I'd rather toss back a snootful in front of the telly than risk evisceration along with my pint. Our local pub,the Angel Inn, drips charm but it's a far cry from the Rovers with all its intrigues and confrontations. I am pleasantly surprised at the closet Corrie watchers who are choosing to come out of the woodwork. Mr. Nag informs me that there are even "hardcorries" at his firehall although they'll remain anonymous as some are not yet out of the closet.

Comments

Statcounter