Where Ice Cream Trucks Go To Die

When I was a kid the music heralding the arrival of the ice cream truck would set me salivating. The tinny music was a sign of summer. I can't remember the last time I saw (and heard) one of these trucks. Of course I live in a neighbourhood that is devoid of children. It is as if the Pied Piper took them all away.

But ice cream trucks are indeed a dying breed in many places. In the1960s 30,000 ice cream trucks plied their trade from Eastbourne to Edinburgh in the UK. But today, just 5,000 ice cream vans remain on British roads. Where do the old trucks go to die? One of their final resting places is an ice cream van “graveyard” in the quiet seaside village of St Leonards in East Sussex, England.

Olivia Howitt has done an interesting piece on the vans for BBC travel.








Comments

Statcounter