Wednesday, August 06, 2008

It worked on Noriega...

To garden is to wage war on nature. I fight off borer beetles, Japanese beetles, aphids, black spot, creeping charlie, purslane, mildew, grubs and that feaster on grubs, the skunk. I win some and lose others. So far Mr. Adolescent Skunk is winning this battle. It's just a matter of time until my huge flat coated retriever, Max, gets curious enough to get sprayed; otherwise I'd shrug and say, "Live and let live". We're using noise to try to drive him out, the same technique the US used to rout Noriega from the Vatican Embassy in Panama. Noriega surrendered but this skunk so far seems to be made of stronger stuff.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:26 am

    Wow! You sound like a Canadian :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that's because I am, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I lived in Vermont, we had a skunk family living in the woodpile behind our house. At night, you could look out my back window and see my cats playing with the skunks. They got along great.

    One day, a neighbors dog tried to join in on the fun... and was sprayed immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late one night a few years ago Mr. Nag reached down to pat our little black and white Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who was rubbing against his legs. It took him a couple of moments to realize it wasn't Katie but a skunk of a similar size.

    ReplyDelete