How a Virus Spreads Through an Airplane Cabin


It’s not uncommon to become ill after flying home from a trip. It's happened to me twice. Did flying cause it?
New research suggests that airline passengers infected with influenza aren’t likely to infect other passengers who sit more than two seats to the left or right, or more than two seats in front or back so chances of contracting the flu from an infected passenger are slim unless you’re sitting within about three feet (one meter) of them.
In the two instances I became ill after flying I blame passengers who were sitting directly behind me on long flights who coughed all the way across the Atlantic.

Read more here about the findings of the study.

Comments

  1. Still coughing from our last two plane rides two weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I am also guilty of spreading disease. On a return trip from Bali everyone in the airport lounge was coughing and there were germ-laden tissues on every surface. By the time we changed planes in Zurich I was coughing non-stop and felt deathly ill. Fortunately we had business class pods and there was a lot of space between me and the other passengers but someone on that flight probably caught whatever it was that I had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why they call airlines carriers. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter