French Road Is Only Drivable Twice a Day, Then It Disappears Under 13 Feet of Water


I recently watched an excellent Chef's Table episode about Alexandre Couillon's restaurant La Marine in Noirmoutier, France. When looking for more information on this 3 star restaurant I came across this post at My Modern Met.

Photo credit: Greg_Miko



The Passage du Gois connects the Gulf Burnёf with Noirmoutier but it is only driveable twice a day for a few hours before it’s flooded by the rising tide. In 1701, this 2.58-mile passage was first mentioned on a map and, in around 1840, regular service began via horseback and later cars. It is generally unsafe for travel and special panels are in place to tell people if the road is drivable. Those who disregard these warnings get trapped and have to stand on elevated rescue towers until the water subsides or someone comes to get them. Unfortunately they must say au devoir to their cars.

I'd like to visit Noirmoutier and eat at La Marine but I think I will take the bridge which was built in 1971.

Comments

Statcounter