Bay Leaves Are Bullshit



You know what you won't find in my spice cabinet? Bay leaves. Never. That's why I was a little taken aback when Mr. Nag returned from the supermarket with a bag of them. I threw them in a soup. All of them. Did they add a certain je ne sais quoi? No they didn't. I should post this on my cupboard door as a reminder to Mr. Nag:
  • What does a bay leaf taste like? Nothing. 
  • What does a bay leaf smell like? Nothing. 
  • What does a bay leaf look like? A leaf. 
  • How does a bay leaf behave? It behaves as a leaf would, if you took a leaf from the tree outside of your apartment building and put it into your soup.


Read about The Vast Bay Leaf Conspiracy at The Awl
Via

Comments

  1. I bet it turns out you need the right receptor to taste bay.....like cilantro. Now cilantro tastes like soap to me but delicious to others. I find bay leaf adds a slightly woodsy taste and aroma to stews and spaghetti sauce. I've made sauce with and without. Definitely better with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter