A Widow's Touching Letter and Sandals Woven From her Hair


In April of 1998 archaeologists excavated the coffin of Eung-Tae Lee, a 16th-century male, in Andong City, South Korea. In the coffin was a moving letter written by his pregnant widow, addressed to the father of their unborn child. The sandals pictured above were also found in the tomb. They were woven from hemp bark and his bereft wife's own hair.





Transcript

To Won's Father
June 1, 1586
You always said, "Dear, let's live together until our hair turns gray and die on the same day." How could you pass away without me? Who should I and our little boy listen to and how should we live? How could you go ahead of me?
How did you bring your heart to me and how did I bring my heart to you? Whenever we lay down together you always told me, "Dear, do other people cherish and love each other like we do? Are they really like us?" How could you leave all that behind and go ahead of me? ... More: Letters of Note
Via Blort

Comments

Statcounter