Desserts Named After Famous Women

Shrine of Dreams, one of my favourite blogs, has written a great article on delicacies inspired by women. Below is Nellie Melba and the dish named for her.


 The great chef Escoffier created this dessert for his friend Nellie Melba, the Australian opera singer. Nellie loved ice cream but feared that the frozen dessert would damage her vocal cords. Escoffier added peaches to insulate the effect so that Dame Melba could eat ice cream without fear.
Since I could never be described as sweet I doubt that there will ever be a dessert named after me.

Read about more famous lady desserts. 

Comments

  1. Anonymous6:19 pm

    Since I could never be described as sweet I doubt that there will ever be a dessert named after me.

    Awww. How about a drink? There's a Blue Marilyn, for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look that one up. It's a little complex for me. I drink red wine or Irish whiskey neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:03 pm

    I don't much like those mixed drinks, either. I do like an ice cube in my Jameson's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried whiskey stones? No dilution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:19 pm

    There's something about a really cold ice cube that brings out the best in Jameson's. The cube should be cold enough so that it pops or cracks when you pour on the booze. *pow* An Irish firecracker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just slug it straight from the bottle ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter