Drinking wine in the afternoon

Some friends of ours who recently celebrated a major wedding anniversary were passing through town yesterday. I won't tell you which anniversary or you'll think our friends are very old (actually they married at an obscenely early age and I'm older than they are). One of the pair is bird phobic and the inevitable attack of the front porch robins made for an interesting arrival. We went out to a local winery restaurant for lunch to celebrate the longevity of their union. We ate a three course meal and drank a moderate amount of wine. By 3pm it was all over and I felt overfull and slightly tipsy. Time was I could have kept that party going. Alas, I'm ashamed to say, no longer. I felt like I needed a nap but thought that would show some innate weakness. Worst of all the midday drinking interfered with my happy hour routine; I'm such a creature of habit (mostly bad). It's just as well I wasn't a businessperson 20 years ago. I wouldn't have survived the three martini lunches.

Comments

  1. Anonymous9:11 pm

    Oh Marilyn, I knew you years ago and I find it hard to believe that you can't still drink everyone under the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? Things change. I wish you'd have left your name.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Statcounter